World AIDS Day
Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS and Fair Housing
December 1 is World AIDS Day, an annual recognition of the impact of the global HIV/AIDS pandemic and an attempt to raise awareness to celebrate successes and encourage continued work to treat, study, and support HIV/AIDS efforts.
In the United States, many of the federal government offices and agencies dedicated to health and human services commemorate this health awareness day. The 2017 theme is “Increasing Impact Through Transparency, Accountability, and Partnerships.”
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development administers the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Program; this is the only federal program dedicated to the housing needs of people living with HIV/AIDS. You can learn more about eligibility requirements, the rules/regulations, and other aspects of the program here: https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/hopwa/.
Discrimination based on HIV and AIDS is illegal; this includes the unlawful denial of housing or access to housing. Learn more about fair housing and anti-discrimination resources at:
- U.S. Department of Justice HIV/AIDS Discrimination
- FAQs on HIV/AIDS Discrimination
- How to File a Complaint of HIV/AIDS Discrimination With the U.S. Department of Justice
- How to File a Complaint With the U.S. Department of Justice Regarding Other Types of Discrimination
- Fair Housing Act – Basic Facts
- How to File a Housing Discrimination Complaint With the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Other World AIDS Day web pages include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [en español]
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Econometrica offers an array of housing and community development services, including those focused on public and affordable housing. Many of the municipalities and public housing agencies we have worked with offer programs and services through HOPWA funding.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development administers the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Program; this is the only federal program dedicated to the housing needs of people living with HIV/AIDS.
View Related Posts
On December 12, 2017, Econometrica attended the Annual Honorary Awards Ceremony held by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), ONC.
This December, Econometrica has partnered with Bethesda Cares to organize a food, clothing and toiletries drive.
As a reminder, Econometrica’s fundraising page to support the Central Texas Food Bank including those affected by Hurricane Harvey continues to accept donations.