Editing Staff Favorites
In recognition of National Book Month and the many reading-related events celebrated in October, Econometrica’s editors have assembled a short list of some of their favorite reads related to editing and writing. Check out their recommendations and let us know your favorites!
Our favorite books for practical and humorous advice on editing and writing:
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves, by Lynne Truss. A manifesto on proper punctuation with hilarious examples of punctuation gone awry. Includes stickers.
- The Elements of Style, by William Strunk, Jr., and E. B. White. This classic style guide lays bare the elementary rules and principles of composition.
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction, by William Zinsser. This how-to book bolsters writing technique with guidance for business writing, science and technology, sports, travel, humor, and other types of nonfiction.
- On Writing, by Stephen King. This half-memoir, half-advice book—while mostly for fiction writers—also contains accessibly written advice for anyone who writes.
If you’re looking for a reference text to open whenever you have a nitpicky question, Kurt von Tish recommends the following book, as well as an essay that reviews it:
- Garner’s Modern American Usage, by Bryan A. Garner. A thorough usage and style guide structured like a dictionary.
- Consider the Lobster and Other Essays, by David Foster Wallace. A collection of essays that includes “Authority and American Usage,” which reviews Garner’s Modern American Usage and discusses the difference between descriptive and prescriptive approaches to usage. Yes, another essay in the same collection ponders the ethics of boiling lobsters.
Jonathan Fusfield endorses these two books on journalism:
- All the President’s Men, by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward. Two reporters chronicle their investigative reporting on the Watergate break-in and the ensuing scandal.
- A Firing Offense, by David Ignatius. A novel about a journalist sucked into the world of espionage.
Econometrica’s editors have assembled a short list of some of their favorite reads related to editing and writing.
View Related Posts
BETHESDA, MD – The CDC Foundation awarded Econometrica a contract to create e-learning courses focused around a variety of global tobacco control topics. This new partnership will strengthen country-level capacity in using data to inform policies on global tobacco...
BETHESDA, MD – Econometrica has formed a dedicated Clinical Practice Team consisting of healthcare professionals from a variety of healthcare disciplines. The addition of this team augments the technical capabilities of Econometrica’s Health Group to provide expertise...
Econometrica actively stands with the Black community, our colleagues, their families, and clients in the fight against racism, injustice, and inequality.